Alief ISD’s Annual Military Appreciation Night took place at Alief Crump Stadium last Friday. Current and former members of the U.S. military were honored and recognized for their service to our country. We appreciate our veterans and the sacrifices that they have made. Our veterans’ willingness to sacrifice makes me think of the term mindset. Sacrifice is never easy and often requires a growth mindset. Carol Dweck’s work on mindset focuses on the difference between a fixed and a growth mindset. “Someone with a growth mindset views intelligence, abilities, and talents as learnable and capable of improvement through effort. On the other hand, someone with a fixed mindset views those same traits as inherently stable and unchangeable over time.” (Cote, 2022)
Given the complex challenges in student achievement or even in school finance, it can be easy to become jaded, even negative, and believe that there is no hope for the system. I remain optimistic, believing there are great opportunities for our students here in Alief ISD. I also acknowledge that the work is not easy, but I grow more excited about the opportunities ahead for our students and our district by the day. The challenges ahead will require a growth mindset and a focus on solutions to help our students thrive despite the challenges plaguing public educators.
We encourage our stakeholders to submit a November MVP Award Submissionby October 13th.
Kerr High School earned a place on the AP® School Honor Roll for the 2022-23 school year! The AP School Honor Roll recognizes schools that have done outstanding work to welcome more students into AP courses and support them on the path to college success. It takes a significant school wide effort to make AP access a priority. You are Alief Proud!
Congratulations to our October scholar athletes, Ukpono Udobong from Taylor volleyball and Tyler Lee from Taylor football.
- Senior Ukpono Udobong was named a Citgo Distinguished Scholar in athletics! Ukpono plans to study biology at Baylor University. Her goal is to become an orthopedic doctor.
- Tyler Lee is an outstanding young man. He is in the top 5% of his class, leader on and off the field, straight A student, and a member of FBLA (Future Business Leader of America) and treasurer of BPA (Business Professionals of America).
Share your Alief ISD good news here.
Dr. Anthony Mays
- September 15-October 15: National Hispanic Heritage Month
- October Athletic Calendar
- October 9-13: National School Lunch Week
- October 10-13: Alief ISD Greek Week
- October 12: Alief ISD College Night
- October 14: Alief Proud Festival
- October 16: Staff Long-Range Planning Day/Student Holiday
- October 16-20: National School Bus Safety Week
- October 17: National Boss’s Day
- October 17: Board meeting
- October 23-November 3: Red Ribbon Drug Prevention
- October 26: National Lights On
- October 30: Alief ISD Education Foundation 19th Golf Tournament