The Alief ISD Education Foundation kicked off its Pay It Forward campaign, which offers Alief ISD employees the opportunity to donate to the foundation through payroll deduction. The tax-deductible donations will go towards school supplies and uniforms for students, teacher mini grants and senior scholarships. The goal is for 50 percent of the employees to join the cause by the end of this campaign on March 7, and weekly updates will be provided through Points of Pride.
Alexander Elementary student Crystal Thai was named Alief ISD’s Spelling Bee District Champion. Twelve campuses participated this year. Thai will represent Alief at the HoustonPBS Spelling Bee on March 29.
Alief ISD middle school and high school students brought home 21 Gold Keys, 29 Silver Keys and 45 Honorable Mentions from the Harris County Department of Education’s Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. Silver Key winners will be recognized on February 22, and Gold Key winners will be recognized on February 19.
Sixty-four students in the Alief Kerr Chapter of Future Business Leaders of America qualified for state competitions after placing in the top five spots in their event at the Area V District Conference.
Alief ISD’s Culinary Arts students placed third at the Westchase Rotary Club Soup’er Bowl event.
Alief ISD graduate Gary Jones was recently selected by the Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps to be one of their Drum Majors for the 2014 Marching Season. Jones, who graduated from Hastings last school year, will be on tour throughout the country through August, with a possible appearance in Houston in late July.
The Hastings Marines JROTC was named 1st Place Overall Meet Champs at the
Bayou Classic Drill Meet.
Alief ISD Chess Tournament Results:
* Tu Nguyen (Killough Middle School) placed first in the middle school division
* Kasarn Jeradechachai (Alief Early College High School) won first place inthe high school division.
* Albright Middle School took first place in the middle school division.
* AECHS also came out on top in the high school division.
* Hastings High School students Alvin Ibeabuchi and Ebube Nwankwo made the 2013-14 Football Academic All-State Team and received Honorable Mention from the Texas High School Coaches Association and the United States Marine Corps.
Middle School Boys Basketball Champions
* Albright Middle School = 8A and 8B Champions
* O’Donnell Middle School = 7A Champions