Points of Pride
Hastings High School student Abigail Onwunali placed first in Prose Interpretation, first in Dramatic Interpretation and sixth in Poetry Interpretation at the George Mason Annual Patriot Games. This is the largest individual event tournament in the nation. Abigail was also honored at the award ceremony in the Dramatic category for being the first finalist in tournament history to receive a number 1 ranking from all the judges in any event.
Elsik High School was awarded the 2012-13 Leading Chapter Award in the Space City District by the National Forensic League. The award is based on student participation and is the highest recognition the league can award a chapter.
The artwork of Youens Elementary students Rey Escobar, Naomi Umoru, and Jahre Celorio was chosen to be printed in the 2014 calendar for PBK Architects. The students will get a calendar with their printed work and gift cards.
Alief ISD HOSA students Jaime Aragon, Selina Ruano, Uche Okonkwo and BIllal Mabizari placed during the preliminary area competitions and will be moving onto Area 2 competitions in February.
Alief ISD’s Management Information Systems (MIS) Department was recently featured in the Houston Chronicle for their participation in the Fitbit district wellness initiative. The entire department is participating and collectively had a total of 2,678,201 steps, 1,201.26 miles and 8,580 minutes for the month of November.
Kennedy Elementary teachers Elsa Garcia-Cortes, Maria Aranda, Jennifer Ozturk and Isabel Gloria-Ruiz recently completed a 5K program and ran the Rudolf Fun Run as part of the Wellness Program at their campus.
Miller Intermediate Principal Stacy Frenchwood, Taylor High School Assistant Principal Oscar Naves and Science Specialist Kathleen McCart and After School Program Coordinator Tameka Anderson were featured in the fall issue of the University of Houston-Clear Lake’s Educational Leadership publication.
18-5A All District Honors for Football:
* Coach of the Year: Jody Jordan (Taylor)
* Return Specialist: Malcolm Washington (Elsik)
* Offensive Newcomer: Dondrel Williams (Hastings)
* Defensive Newcomer: Jackson Dontavious (Elsik)
Texas State Thespian Festival Results:
Kerr High School:
* Krystal Uchem – Monologue National Qualifier
* Tam Tran – Duet Acting National Qualifier
* Jennifer Ho – Duet Acting National Qualifier
* Valerie Hanna – All Star Troupe Video Award
(awarded to whole troupe; Hanna created the video)
* Valerie Hanna, Jason Quach, Sara Siboldi, Saira
Martinez, Jackie Cruz and Danyal Syed – 1st Place
* Jason Quach, Diane Chau, Raymond Luu, Taylor
Nguyen – 3rd Place Set Design
Taylor High School:
* Sierra Glover – Monologue National Qualifier
* Toni Baker – Thespian Festival Scholarship
* Sally Chiu – Publicity National Qualifier
Hastings High School:
* Shaniah Hargrove – Lighting National Qualifier