Apply for a KaBOOM! playground today!
KaBOOM! is a national nonprofit that envisions a great place to play within walking distance of every child in North America. KaBOOM! brings together parents, community leaders and corporate partners to facilitate the planning and design of new community playspaces. KaBOOM!’s goal is to not only build a new playspace but use the project to strengthen existing support networks and build new community relationships.
KaBOOM! currently has Funding Partners that will cover the majority of the funding as well as provide volunteers to help build several playgrounds in Houston this Winter and Spring. They are working to identify nonprofit, child serving organizations that would benefit from and embrace the process of a community built playspace partnership.
An organization must meet the following criteria to qualify:
- Serve a low-income/high-need community
- Have no playground or need to replace an existing playground
- Fundraise $8,500 USD towards the cost of equipment. We offer online webinars (www.kaboom.org/webinars) to assist with fundraising ideas.
- Provide at least 2500 sq. feet in available land and complete any needed site preparation, i.e. removing old equipment, asphalt, grading the land.
- Provide additional in kind responsibilities such as breakfast and lunch for Build Day, tools, restroom facilities, and a dumpster.
- Recruit 100-150 volunteers for Build Day and recruit parents who are excited about serving on planning committees for an 8-10 week period leading up to Build Day.
- Accept ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the playspace upon completion.
In return, your organization will:
- Receive a new custom designed playground!
- Establish an ongoing relationship with a Funding Partner throughout the planning process and for years after who is interested in having an impact on your community.
- Bring community members together as they work toward this common goal.
- Participate in a planning process that will teach you about fundraising, community building, media relations, etc. that can be used during future community projects.
The approximate 8-10 week planning process kicks off with a Design Day where children literally design their dream playgrounds, and culminates on Build Day where volunteers build the new playground. To be considered, please complete and submit the application below with pictures via email by Monday, November 12th.