Teachers and administrators are such a valuable component of what it takes to help our students grow. According to National Public Radio, “In 2022, the average fourth-grade math score decreased by 5 points to its lowest level since 2005. The average eighth-grade math score decreased by 8 points to its lowest level since 2003. (Carrillo, S., 2022)
“Math and reading scores for students across the country are down following years of disrupted learning during the pandemic.” (National Assessment of Educational Progress)
Yet and still we know that good “first instruction” can close instructional gaps. Allowing our students to grow one to two grade levels in one year. We should all be very grateful for the work of public school teachers.
The Teacher Incentive Allotment will allow us to continue to acknowledge the impact of instruction on our students with added pay. Teachers like Mrs. Nguyen, our firstNationally Board Certified Teacher, continue to make a difference in the lives of our students.
The Alief Kerr High School Chapter of FBLA was one of only five chapters in Texas to earn the distinction of Champion Chapter Gold through the FBLA-PBL Champion Charter Program, the highest achievement through the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)’s Champion Chapter Program. Amazing job!
And finally, I’d like to share our seventh and final episode of Q&A with Dr. Mays for the 22-23 school year. In this episode, I had the pleasure speaking with Texas Association of Future Educators (TAFE) student Cyndol Davis. View the video here.
Dr. Anthony Mays
- May 25: Alief Early College High School Graduation – Coleman Coliseum, 4:00 PM
- May 25: Kerr High School Graduation – Coleman Coliseum, 7:00 PM
- June 2: Hastings High School Graduation – Merrell Center, 9:00 AM
- June 2: Alief Taylor High School Graduation – Merrell Center, 2:00 PM
- June 2: Elsik High School Graduation – Merrell Center, 7:00 PM
- June 7, 2023: Campus-Based Job Fair – Alief Center for Talent Development, 9 AM – Noon
- June 8, 2023: Classified Job Fair – Alief Center for Talent Development, 9 AM – Noon