During this past week’s board workshop, we received lots of heavy news as Charles Woods, Deputy Superintendent of Business Services, shared updates with our board regarding our budgetary situation. Kathy Jahn, Deputy Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction, and Dr. Rayyan Amine, Assistant Superintendent of School Improvement and Accountability, shared updates on our current interim assessment data and policy changes with school accountability that could be impactful on our school district. One consistent message was to direct our efforts on what is in our sphere of influence.
During this week’s Superintendent Council meeting, Hastings Ninth Grade Center Principal Dr. William Price spoke of the focus of our principals, as everyone concentrates on the work and what needs to happen to make our students successful during the upcoming state accountability testing season. I recently had a conversation where Area Superintendent Cecilia Crear spoke of operating with urgency. Trustee Jennifer Key doubled down during Tuesday’s board workshop on adhering to our best practices knowing that our strategies work and will be effective. I echo those same sentiments as we roll our sleeves up and engage in the work.
Our trustees and I will continue to advocate against policies that adversely impact students or that move change too quickly through a system that continues to be challenged by the impacts of COVID-19.
As everyone remains focused on our main priority, which is the students and quality instruction, I do not doubt that strong systems and collaboration will lead to the outcomes we know our students deserve.
Are we built for where we are at or are we built for where we are going?
Community Budget Meetings
- February 16: Community Communication Meeting Central – Alief Center for Advanced Careers, 6:00 PM
- February 28: Community Communication Meeting Westside – Alief Center for Talent Development, 6:00 PM
Congrats to the 21 teachers recognized and the 80 Alief ISD staff that attended the HAABSE Teacher of the Year Celebration. We appreciate everything you do for our students and for representing the excellence of Alief ISD. View photos from the event here.
Some big congratulations also go out to the Miller Intermediate Men of Brilliance step team! They placed first in the World Step Association Preliminary Step Show Competition. Keep up the great work gentlemen!
And finally, I’d like to share our second episode of Q&A with Dr. Mays. In this episode, I had the pleasure to speak with Olle Middle School eighth grade student Holman Chavez. View the video here.
Dr. Anthony Mays
- February 15: Soda with the Superintendent – Albright Middle School, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM
- February 17: Alief ISD Nutrition Job Fair – Crump Stadium, 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- March 4: Pre-K Preview – Center for Talent Development, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- March 25: Alief ISD Family U Conference – Center for Talent Development, 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- April 1: Alief ISD Girls Conference – Cummings Elementary, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- April 13: Kinder Round Up – All Elementary Schools, 5:00 PM
Leave A Comment