There is a great new park under construction now in the International District and it is estimated to open in July of this year. The park is being built by Pct. 3 County Commissioner Steve Radack. It is located one block south of Beechnut and Howell-Sugarland (near Hicks Elementary School) and is bounded by Howell-Sugarland, Sand Canyon, Rustling Leaves and Renn Rd. It spreads over 23 acres.
Comprising over 23 acres, Sand Canyon Park will be an outstanding addition to the Alief community, with lots of amenities including:
- Two separate playground areas with different equipment in each part.
- A 10’ wide trail that will be approximately 1 ½ miles in length winds within the park.
- Benches and stationary fitness equipment along the trail.
- Picnic tables will be throughout the park.
- There will be a couple of 25’x25’ pavilions.
- An outdoor exercise pavilion equipped with outdoor fitness equipment designed for teens through seniors.
- Two parking lots.
- Restroom and water fountains.
- Completely fenced.
- Hours 7:00 am to dusk.
- Sidewalks are being built all around the park.