Eleven Alief ISD student athletes committed to their future universities on National Signing Day.
- Elsik High School: Jaleel Carter (football / California State University, Fresno) and Stephanie Garcia (soccer / University of Southern Mississippi)
- Hastings High School: Dondrei Williams (football / Tarleton State University)
- Taylor High School (all football commitments): Kenneth McGruder (Oklahoma State University), Joseph Ozougwu (North Texas State University), Willan Antoine (Navarro Junior College), Kenneth Robinson (Texas A&M University at Commerce), Remi Olonade (Navarro Junior College), Anu Somoye (New Mexico University), Keeon Hudson (Texas Agriculture & Technology) and Enrique Garza (Texas Agriculture & Technology).
Ernie Bistro’s cooking team took first place in the Houston Westchase Rotary Club Annual Soup’er Bowl Competition and was spotlighted on CW 39. Ernie’s Bistro is a part of the district Career & Technical Education (CTE) Culinary Arts Program.
Hastings High School’s Business Professionals of America students qualified for state competitions at the regional leadership conference. Jasmine Jackson placed second in Legal Office Procedures, and Nathan Truong placed third in PC Troubleshooting. For Administrative Support Team, Jasmine Jackson, Nathan Truong, Okwudili Nebeolisa and Caleb Adeyemi placed second.
Petrosky Elementary student Hannah Pham was named the Alief ISD District Grand Spelling Bee winner and advanced to the Houston Public Media Spelling Bee on March 28. Youngblood Intermediate student Vanessa Igbokwe placed second, and Budewig Intermediate student Andrew Doan placed third.
Alief ISD students swept the top three spots at the district diving competitions. Hastings High School student Jailan Autry won first place, while Elsik High School student Uriel Vazquez and Taylor High School student Abdallah Brittain placed second and third respectively.
Alief ISD Chess Tournament Results
- Middle School – Individual – Andy Nguyen (Killough / 1st Place), Kobe Negron (Killough / 2nd Place) and Daniel Amoo (Killough / 3rd Place)
- High School – Individual – Kenny Le (Kerr / 1st Place), Mohammed Fraaz (Kerr / 2nd Place) and Antony Hoang (Kerr / 3rd Place)
- High School – Team – Alief Early College High School (1st Place) and Kerr High School (2nd Place)
- Middle School – Team – Albright Middle School (1st Place) and Killough Middle School (2nd Place)
Hastings High School graduate Attica Locke (Class of 1991) is a co-producer and writer for the hit FOX show Empire. The show has received high ratings since its debut.
Former Alief ISD student Courtenay Vandiver Pereira is a part of A Far Cry, a Grammynominated self-conducted orchestra. Their album, Dreams & Prayers, was nominated for this year’s Best Chamber Music/Small Ensemble Performance Award. Pereira, who attended Holub Middle School, plays the cello.