The district’s emerging workforce is being educated at four high schools in the Alief Independent School District – Elsik, Hastings, Kerr and Taylor. Career training is available in the following fields:
Agriculture, Food and National Resources
Architecture and Construction
Audio/Video Technology and Communications
Education and Training
Government and Public Administration
Hospitality and Tourism
Marketing, Sales and Service
Public Safety and Security
Service, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
The Houston Community College System (HCC) has several education and training programs that benefit IMD employers and their employees. Two campuses are located close to the IMD – The Alief Campus at 2811 Hayes Road and the Missouri City Campus at 5855 Sienna Spring Way in Fort Bend County. Programs of interest are:
- HCC Corporate College which provides businesses, industry and other organizations on-site training classes. These classes able employers to get the most from their training expenditures while updating employee skills. Over 400 courses are offered in business and technical, managerial and supervisory, Spanish and English, Microsoft applications and other fields.
- HCC School of Continuing Education which provides on campus classes to high school graduates in areas such as business languages, technology, construction, transportation, public safety and health.
- HCC Apprenticeship Program which is provided through a joint partnership between HCC and the Apprenticeship and Training Association of Texas. The program offers a 3-5 year job training program for trade and craft apprentices that is supported by employers, employer associations and labor organizations. Under this program, HCC provides classroom production for carpenters, electricians, millwrights, pipefitters, welders, masons, stationary engineers and glaziers.
- HCC Online Continuing Education Program which offers a wide variety of online courses to employers to assist them in meeting job requirements and improve their levels of knowledge. All courses are web-based and available 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Course lengths vary from 6 weeks to 6 months.
- HCC Adult Basic Education Program, Supported by federal agents, provide basic reading, writing and mathematics training. English-as-a-second language instruction and General Education Degree (GED) preparation to employees that may not have completed high school are also offered.
- HCC Adult High School Program provides high school audit classes. Fees are required.
Of course the Houston Community College System provides normal credit courses on campus leading to degrees and certificates. Full information is available on the HCCS website.