The International Management District (IMD) was created by the Texas legislature in 2007 by State Representative, Hubert Vo. The District covers approximately 12 square miles and is bounded by Highway 6 on the west, the Sam Houston Tollway on the east, Bellaire on the north and along Bissonnet from Hwy 6 to Kirkwood/W. Belfort to Hwy 59
The first written account of Alief occurred in 1861, when Ron Reynolds claimed 1,250 acres of land at Brays Bayou headwaters. The land was sold to Jacamiah Seaman Daugherty in 1888 and in 1889 he allowed the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railway to build on his land. Daugherty sold his land in 1893 to Francis Meston who planned to engineer a community, Daugherty stayed to oversee land sales in Meston’s Houston office and set aside a plot of land for a cemetery. In 1894 Harris County recognized the community, as the surveyor deemed it, as the Town of Dairy, Texas. In 1895, in an attempt to obtain a post office, Dairy was forced to change its name in order to avoid confusion with a town named Daisy. Dairy was renamed in honor of Alief Ozelda Magee, the country’s first postmistress. Magee’s burial site is at the intersection of Bellaire Boulevard and Dairy Ashford Road in the International District.